Thursday, January 29, 2009

Getting in the Groove






I'm hoping I can get in the groove of blogging. I'm frankly amazed by people who do it everyday, but I won't set my goals to high. If I can post 2-3 times a week, I'll be happy.








I figure I'll start my groove with a post about an artist.

Andy Goldsworthy is a contemporary British artist who creates all his art using things found in nature and more often then not places the art in their natural setting. He uses everything from leaves and twigs, to large rocks and ice. His art is simple, yet has an undeniable sophistication and serenity that only nature can present. I first heard about Goldsworthy when my art history teacher showed us a movie about his work. The movie filmed the artist at work, including the construction of a structure of branches on the shore. As he was about to finish the tide came in and destroyed much of it. Goldsworthy is often fighting natures elements like wind and water when creating his masterpieces. I have yet to see an artist with his style or technique and all though many of his works are not everlasting, they are timeless in his own right.


This is one of my favorites. Its is a series of leaves in a gradient color pattern surrounding a hole in the ground

For this Andy Goldsworthy materpiece, the artist used icicles and a little bit of his spit to create this ice spiral.
This is one of Goldsworthy's larger creations comprised of flat stones.
If you like what you see please look up more about Andy Goldsworthy and watch the video about him if possible, it greatly heightens the appreciation of his arduous work.

1 comment:

GG said...

I love Andy Goldsworthy! He's got some new piece over in the Presido of SF. I haven't seen it yet but maybe next time you're in town we can check it out together! I know where there's a cpk in the city! Miss you and glad to see you blogging again!